101 ways to HyperJar

Comments

14 comments

• HyperJar Team 5

How I HyperJar: Since getting my hands on the HyperJar app, I've been using Storage Jars to hold a small fund for one expensive lunch every now and then.

For each day I bring in lunch from home or keep to supermarket food, I add £2 to my Big Lunch Fund. I use the Notes section of my jar to note down the restaurants I want to visit.  Then when the fund is at a good level, I choose the venue and spoil myself on amazing food.

Comment actions Permalink
  • Shane H

How I HyperJar: I've become a bit obsessed with shared jars since I've started using HyperJar. 
    I really like that I can share money with family and colleagues in a quick and intuitive way.

Most days in the office we have a coffee run, we've set up a shared jar for the team and all the coffee drinkers chip money into it. Whoever goes to the coffee shop can use this jar to buy coffee for everyone. 

The person going to get the coffee can pay for the coffee with the shared jar of funds at the click of a button. The person who draws the short straw and has to go on the coffee run can buy coffee for everyone without being out of pocket, or having to collect money from everyone before they go. 

It's really convenient and now all we have to argue about is whose turn it is to go. 

• Tricia B

BH (Before HyperJar) I had a pretty chaotic approach to paying for groceries and therefore a hazy understanding of what I was spending each month. Not great, considering it's such a big chunk of family budget. I'm not a natural spreadsheeter, or adder-upper of receipts and I use different supermarkets for my main shop and top-up shopping and yet another for lunch when I'm at work, which also makes it hard to keep track of things. But whereas I used to pay with a mix of cash, debit cards and occasionally credit cards, I've now got a Food Shopping Storage Jar on the app and only use my HyperJar card to pay, wherever I'm shopping. It's honestly the first time I've had a clear picture of what I'm spending on groceries and it means I can now budget properly, and know if I'm sticking to that budget. 

• Joe Moore

I'm finding HyperJar super useful for saving up for things that I want but wouldn't ever buy if I had to pay in one go. I've set up a dyson Jar to save up for the cyclone vacuum, putting in a bit of money here and there when I get paid or have a quiet week. Setting a target reflecting the price of the vacuum is a neat feature and getting a little boost on my on my balance is a lovely bonus. Not long to go now…

• Sarah W

I never seem to have the cash to give a team mate when they've shouted me a Diet Coke at lunch time, and I hate feeling like I'm always owing people.  

So now my Diet Coke buddy and I have a shared "Diet Coke" Jar.  We can both spend from it, but we never do so without the other one.

(which has the added benefit of limiting my DC intake because my buddy works 3 days a week)

• Sarah W

I'm also trying to work out how to use a Storage Jar for my children.  I'm going to experiment with setting up a Jar for each of them, then put their pocket money into the Jars.

If they decide to save up for something specific, we can move it into a Jar which has a Growth Rate.

And either way, they get to see the money in their Jar, understand a little about digital money management, get the idea of budgeting and saving, and also experience paying with the card (under my supervision) in shops 

I'd be really interested to hear other ideas for involving children

• Laura P

How I HyperJar: me and my partner love to take mini-breaks and explore around the UK and Europe. With HyperJar we can now plan in advance and create a Jar for every adventure, putting money aside during the months before and share a budget for when we are there. 

• Shane H

Festivals are the heart and soul of the summertime. Every year I try to go to at least one with my friends.
    One thing that's always bugged me is not having a 'kitty' everyone in my crew can use to buy our tickets, go to the bar, get food, petrol or supplies. 
    This year is going to be different, we'll have a 'festival' jar. Everyone can chip in some funds to a shared jar on the way to the festival.
    Every time someone goes for a drink they can use the shared jar, it means no one is out of pocket and everyone can track how much is being spent. 

• Justine G

I am just waiting for the android app to become available so I can start my HyperJar journey. Living in this digital age, I tend to be that person who has no concept of managing money and spends/ taps card as and when. Then.... at the end of the month I have to sit down and work out how much I have spent and on what which is not ideal and not a great way of managing my money. I plan to use HyperJar for a clear picture of what money I have and where it should be distributed as well as how much I am prepared to spend on a particular event each month; whether that be putting away for the annual holiday, eating out, social events, gym or monthly food shops etc.

• Moneyonmymind

The way I HyperJar is really straight forward and an easy way to put money aside without ever noticing. I check the balance on my wallet every evening and any 'odd' pennies I transfer straight to my rainy day storage jar. As an example if I have £20.67p in my wallet at the end of the day I will move over the 67p to the jar... It builds up quicker than you realise without realising-genius!!!

• Lee Evans

Every year my wife and I spend more than we expect at Christmas, and every January things are a little bit.....well....less festive!  Once HyperJar is released on Android we intend to setup a "January Jar" - this will help with the boring stuff like bills but hopefully also for us to get a Mum and Dad only meal at a nice Bistro at a time we would normally be feeling the pinch.

• HyperJar Team4

I have recently opened a HyperJar with Virgin Wines who are one of our great partners. I plan to put a few pounds in each week and then at Christmas purchase all my wine through them. It will save me having to pay out a lump sum in one go plus I get any added reward by having my money in that specific jar- plus it will be the season to keep my house guests jolly so why not!!! :-)

• HyperJar Team2

Since coming onboard with Hyperjar my mind has been working overtime in terms of spending goal planning. I recently opened a Jar called Paramotoring! What is that? Well it terrifies the life out of me but it's something that I was looking at and basically it's a parachute that you are strapped into and you have a propelled motor on your back!  It's another form of flying. Anyway, this Jar is going to help towards my paramotoring course and I'm really excited about it.  In terms of goal setting nothing beats Hyperjar!

• ABC

I love the analytics that tell me how much I've spent on transports, groceries, eating out etc in the past months. I can try to improve my budget without having to go through all the transactions and try to categorise them. No excuse not to pay more attention to your spendings! HyperJar does ll the hard work for you. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.